Monday, July 23, 2007

Learning to Live in the Moment

I've been feeling bogged down lately because I've felt too lazy to set time aside daily and read my Bible. I got stuck into this mindset of thinking I need to set time aside daily to spend time with God by reading my Bible. And I do...don't get me wrong, I definitely do have to do that...but I realized (well, remembered) that spending time wiht God doesn't just consist of reading my Bible. I started to get down on myself because I haven't been reading my Bible lately on a day to day basis. And for some reason I thought that I couldn't say I spent time with God if I hadn't read my Bible. When I told a friend about a month ago that I was feeling lazy because I hadn't been faithful with my daily devotions she said, "Don't be so hard on yourself and get rid of that Christian checklist in your life. Allow God to meet you where you're at and be open to spending time with him in other ways."

It took a while, but when I sat down this mornig to read my Bible and said, "God, I'm sorry I haven't set time aside to spend with you, " I realized how silly that statement and minset was. It's a true statement...but there's so much more. I finally understand what my friend was saying.

Every minute of my day should be spending time with God and in his presence. I don't need to have a specific time set aside in order to spend time with Him. Although I do need to set time aside to read my Bible and spend time with God daily, it doesn't mean that when I don't -- I can't spend time with Him. I AM way too hard on myself and hung up on obligations of Christianity. Instead, I should be embracing every moment of every day as a chance to get lost in God's mercy and love. Seeing the simple things in life as God's incredibley beauty. Looking for deeper meaning in the routines of my life. And always taking the time to pause and let my thoughts, words, and actions worship my Lord.

***

I sometimes feel frustrated with myself with not wanting as much lately to enjoy simple peasure. I haven't read in a while, star gazed, tanned, played piano, journalled or just of relaxed and stuff. I've just been wathcing TV, playing N64, going on the computer, and going out with people.

BUT, I do not need to regret the season of life I'm in. I'm enjoying being lazy between the TV and ocmputer and that's how I want to enjoy life this summer. It's not a waste if I still take time to worship God in other ways. Take time to BE and to think. To love and receive His love.

When people ask if I enjoyed my summer, my answer will be yes, because I did. It's nice to be able to sit in front of technology without having to think or worry about homework or things I have to do.

I have to learn to enjoy every moment as it is...not wishing it was something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home