Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Looking Back on 2007

One of my favourite part of New Years is reading through my journal of the previous year and pulling out the highlights. So, here it goes. :)

-One of my closest friends started a relatioship with a boy at the beginning of 2007, they got closer, me and my friend grew apart, I learned a lot, my whole year had been pretty much taken over with this drama, and coincidently (or not so much) it is pretty much over now. I have moved on and lost a good friend -- but there is closure and time now for healing.
-struggled with family issues during the beginning of the year
-learned a LOT about embracing change instead of becoming bitter and trying to run from it
-learned about resting in the Lord
-found out Covenant Bible College was closing and that I would have to rethink my life
-found out one of our best teachers was pregnant and not coming to Bolivia with us
-found out that another one of our best teachers was moving to BC ...(see what I mean about the change ;) )
-renewed a good relationship with a friend that I had lost contact with
-started getting to know a few important people in my life
-friendship grew stronger with Heather and Brianne...after going through a few cycles of growing apart -- very positive thing for my life
-a mentorship relatioship ended
-went to Elkridge resort as a leader and got to know the yonger youth in my church; later started a Bible study for the girls
-last extreme, last Jr. High Jam, and last time ever being in the CBC building
-WENT TO BOLIVIA -- at took like two months to process and transition back into life at home
-KAREN AND MIKE CAME HOME FOR A MONTH
-dinner theatre, one of the best times of high school
-finished grade 11 with the highest average in my class, above 95% -- which later led to a $2000 scholarship to the U of S.
-started work at DQ
-started grade 12...oh boy.
-went to Waskesui, Winnipeg, and San Fran.
-started leading a high school worship team and organizing a few chapels for the elementary kids
-regretably finished my last season of high school volleyball and then started the intense season of basketball
-decided that I'm not doing a YWAM next year
-school got crazy but was followed by an extremely relaxing break, beautiful Christmas, and fun New Years in Edmonton
-found my grad dress
-in the last month of 2007, had a talk with a friend that was hard but brought clousre for me and freedom to move on, ended with a renewed perspective and immense gratitude for God's faithfulness


I love reflecting on the previous year and on significant things that have happened in my life. It is so interesting to look back and see how God's hand was at work all along. How even though there was pain, God was faithful, taught me tons, and refined it for the good. How life is full of cycles of friendships...with friendships that grew really strong in previous years ended, with lost friendships renewed, and with God providing as is needed. How time flies by SOO fast that it is incredibly scary and everything feels like it just happened last week. And how life is so rich and full of God's graciousness, guidance, and love.

I started to think about everything I wanted to accomplish this next year, the ways I wanted to change, the perspectives I wanted to have, etc. But, then I realized that if I set expectations up for myself, I will just be more worried about meeting them then just living life to the fullest. If I resolve to not watch as much TV and to spend more time in devotion, time will fly by with me feeling guilty and trying to set up every moment of my life exactly how I want it. I'm not saying that it's bad to set personal goals to change for the better and that it doesn't matter how much time you spend in devotions. But, for where I am at in my life right now, I know that I need to just rest in the Lord, let Him embrace me wherever I am at, and live life to the fullest that I can. Embracing every moment as it is instead of trying to change each moment to be something more perfect.

Happy New Year everyone!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home